Monday, August 3, 2009

THING 19

I know -- I know-- I'm the only person on the planet you hasn't explored YouTube but there you are. I guess I thought I needed to work or eat or READ or something else. I've played with YouTube & searched for Petra again. Found some neat videos and info about that exciting place. I've looked at lulu.com & even though I don't have anything to publish, I do have some friends who might; I'll tell them about this site. I explored shows on YouTube & found a jillion Paddington videos. And then I played games. I couldn't get on zango.com (it wouldn't ever download); I went on Galaxiki -- but I'm not into scifi -- if that's even a genre anymore. Doof was fun: I played a crummy game of Mahjong but was invited to play again so they were nice. Does this cost money? Saw a game called WORDS that I'll go back to.

Interesting website -- and, goodness! so many things to do. But, WHEN AM I SUPPOSED TO READ MY BOOK??? All of this stuff is fun & interesting -- but it is surely cutting into my available reading time.

USEFUL PARTS FOR SCHOOLS & LIBRARIES: I'm not sure because I don't know how to filter these sites. I'm not sure that all of them would be available (thank goodness!) at HISD schools. And I'm not sure I'm ready to let my 5th graders just go look at some of these sites.

What am I missing? I'll read some other blogs & see if other 23THINGERS have had the same reaction I did to this site.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have never viewed ANYTHING on YouTube. Maybe we should get together and form a troglodite club. I'm thinking what you're thinking about a lot of these new things we're learning. They are wicked cool and probably fabulous for jazzing up lesson plans, but when?

    As far as appropriateness, have you tried TeacherTube? I haven't either :), but I've heard great things from teacher friends. It is unblocked in Alief, even though YouTube definitely is. Maybe that would make you more comfortable finding ways to use this with your class.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Teacher Tube all the time and have found it to be a great educational tool at school. It is kid friendly and mother approved along with great professional development tools!

    ReplyDelete