Saturday, August 1, 2009

THING 15

Library 2.0

Well, it's just gotta be. I really want to incorporate the concepts of "User-centered Library" and "User participation in creation of content & community" into my library mindset.

However, I am somewhat slowed down by the reality of my educational situation. I love my elementary school & have support from the principal & teachers. But our mission has to be different because of our students. We are an "overflow school" and 0ur population is made up of students whose zoned schools don't have enough room for them. Our population is 95% Hispanic for whom English is a second language and, until the 2009-2010 school year, all textbooks for K-4th grade were in Spanish. All of our students are on free breakfasts and lunches.

Our primary responsibility is to raise the reading level of our students. I see every student every week; 2/3 of them twice a week. I have few students -- regardless of grade -- who read above a 3rd grade level.

Our students do have computer classes and the library did receive 8 new laptops last year. I do have a SMARTBoard & am trying to incorporate its use into my instruction time.

I need to focus on change but I mustn't be discouraged when my steps are small.

No comments:

Post a Comment